An elevated Body Mass Index (Obesity) is becoming a more common medical issue for children. Some of the many causes of childhood obesity include genetic tendencies, inactivity and dietary choices.
At Catawba Pediatrics, we have a Healthy Lifestyles Program to help improve your child’s health.
If your child has a Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 95%, which can be determined at his routine yearly appointments, we recommend the following;
Accurate weight measurements every 6 months to discuss management plans to make changes to your child’s diet or lifestyle.
We focus on 6 areas of your child’s life that we call 5-4-3-2-1-0.
- Eat at least 5 fruits or vegetables a day.
- Eat at least 4 “family meals” per week.
- Do not skip more than 3 meals per week, especially breakfast.
- Do not watch more than 2 hours of television, computers or video games per day.
- At least one hour of exercise per day (5 times per week).
- 0 servings of fruit juice or soft drinks per day.
Please visit the following link for further Healthy Lifestyles education, Eat smart, move more www.myeatsmartmovemore.com